Name William WILKINSON
Country Of Origin England
Born Approx. 1830-1832
Died unknown
Birth/Baptism Approx. 1830-1832, Hull, Yorkshire, England
Parents unknown
Skills Clockmaker, Watchmaker, Jeweller, Engraver, Goldsmith
Work Locations Launceston
Street Address
Wellington Street, Launceston
Elizabeth Street, Launceston (2 locations)
Marriage/Spouse 23 November 1853, St Joseph’s Church, Launceston, to Ellen O’Connor
Witnesses: Arthur O’Leary and Ellen McManus
Trial 6 April 1847, Beverley Quarter Sessions, York
Sentence Seven years for breaking into a dwelling house
Arrival 24 July 1850 on the convict ship Blenheim (3)
Police Number 22341
Certificate of Freedom 8 April 1854
Other On arrival in Van Diemen’s Land, William was recorded as a 17-year-old labourer.

By March 1851: Ticket of leave

March 1851: Witness in Arthur O’Leary’s court case.

1 November 1853: Granted permission to marry Ellen O’Connor

Approx. 1852-1855:
Business partnership with Arthur O’Learyclockmaking, watchmaking and associated trades.
Services offered included cresting and lettering of seals, manufacture of desk and bottle stamps, engraving, jewellery manufacture and repair, watchmaking, clockmaking, and goldsmithing.

October 1852: Wilkinson and O’Leary relocated the business from Wellington Street to Elizabeth Street, Launceston, in premises facing Mr Sanderson’s.

Mid-1853: Constable Thomas Riley was ‘dismissed from the Police and ordered out of town’ after committing a burglary at Wilkinson and O’Leary’s shop. Mr Hughes, also of Elizabeth Street, suffered a burglary the same week; the offenders allegedly stole £100 of jewellery.

January 1854: Wilkinson and O’Leary warn the public that they would not be responsible for any debts incurred in their names without written permission. Around this time, William’s wife Ellen, after only five weeks of marriage, claimed refusal of maintenance and being turned out of her home by her husband. William had to pay £1 a week at the police office for her use, to which he responded, ‘It was too much.’

October 1854: Wilkinson and O’Leary relocated to a more central location in Elizabeth Street, neighbouring the Italian Grocery and Tea Warehouse.

By mid-August 1855, Arthur O’Leary advertised under his name only.

SEE July 2023 BLOG

Death unknown
TAHO: CON33/1/95, CON14/1/33, CON52/1/6, RGD37/1/12 no1126 Marriage 1853
Cornwall Chronicle 13 October 1852, 4 January 1854, 7 January 1854, 22 April 1854; The Examiner (Launceston) 30 July 1853, 6 August 1853, 17 January 1854, 28 October 1854; Peoples Advocate or True Friend of Tasmania 10 May 1855, 6 August 1855.