WEBSTER William Sim

Name William Sim WEBSTER
Country Of Origin Ireland
Born 1852
Died unknown
Birth/ Baptism Born 1 July 1852
Bapt. 18 February 1879, St Andrews, Dublin, Ireland, recorded as 26 years old.
Parents James and Jessie Webster (formerly Sim)
Apprenticeship unknown
Skills Watchmaker, Jeweller
Work Locations Hobart, Queenstown
Street Address
Marriage/Spouse 21 February 1900, Wesleyan Parsonage, Queenstown, to
Louisa Webster (d. 24 March 1901, Queenstown)
Other April 1889: Mr W S Webster, London jeweller, displayed a gold bangle bracelet he had completed at Mr Golding’s in Liverpool Street, Hobart.

Early 1890s: Manufactured masonic jewels, including one presented to watchmaker Arthur E Singleton, Zeehan.

Approx. 1899-1901: Employer, Richard Matthews, Queenstown.

March 1900: William gave evidence in a court case regarding his workplace, the rented premises of Richard Matthews. He said ‘he had worked in the plaintiff’s shop before a brick wall was built, when there was an ample supply of light. Since then, he had worked there and tried to repair and make jewellery, but found that he could not do so, as owing to the want of light the strain on the eyes was too great.’ The plaintiff was awarded £25 in damages due to the brick wall interfering with his occupation.

February 1900: Marriage of William and Louisa.
Louisa ran a florist business in the same premises as William.

9 December 1900: Birth of son Alan Sim Webster, Queenstown.
Approx. early 1901: Death of son Alan Sim Webster.

24 March 1901: Death of wife Louisa Webster.
April 1901: An inquest was held to determine the cause of Louisa’s sudden demise. Despite poison being suspected, there was not enough evidence to ascertain a cause of death.

Death unknown
TAHO: File No. 903, Name Indexes: 1931105, Marriage 1900; File No. 4387, Names Indexes: 2047828, Birth 1901.
Web: Ancestry: Ireland Catholic Parish Registers 1879.
The Mercury (Hobart) 17 April 1889, 27 March 1901; Daily Telegraph 9 January 1893, 9 September 1893, 18 April 1901; Zeehan & Dundas Herald 28 October 1895, 22 March 1900, 28 March 1901;
Mount Lyell Standard & Strahan Gazette 21 March 1900, 27 & 28 March 1901.