TEGG Thomas Jack

Name Thomas Jack TEGG
Country Of Origin Australia
Born 1900
Died 1986
Birth/ Baptism Born 9 April 1900, 52 Murray Street, Hobart
Parents John Thomas and Henrietta Theresa Tegg (formerly Parsons)
Apprenticeship unknown
Skills Watchmaker, Jeweller
Work Locations Hobart
Street Address
Corner Murray and Collins Street, Hobart
33 Murray Street, Hobart
151a Elizabeth Street, Hobart
126 Elizabeth Street, Hobart
Marriage/Spouse 22 December 1932, St Mary’s Cathedral, Hobart, to Annie Maude Johnson
Other Other skills: Instrument repairer.

From approx. 1924: Advertised at Bank’s Building, corner of Murray and Collins Streets (upstairs), specialised in repairs.
1925: At 33 Murray Street. A burglary occurred and an attempt was made to open the safe; nothing was stolen.

Associate Member of the Federated Retail Jewellers’ Association of Australia.

By 1929: At 151a Elizabeth Street.
September 1933: Vacated 151a Elizabeth Street and moved to 126 Elizabeth Street.

1942: Enlisted in World War II.
Approx. 1940s: Vice President, Federal Jewellers’ Association, Tasmanian branch.

Approx. 1940s-1960s: Member, Secretary, and President, Horological Guild of Australasia, Tasmanian branch.

1986: Thomas left the property at 126 Elizabeth Street, Hobart, to his son, watchmaker and jeweller, John Dennis Tegg.

Business: Traded as T J Tegg and Son.

Death 25 July 1986, Hobart
The Australian Watchmaker January 1962, October 1962.
TAHO: AD960/1/196 1986.
Web: Ancestry: Australia Birth Index 1900; Australia Electoral Rolls 1922, 1936, 1954, 1972; National Archives of Australia, Military Service Record, Series B884, Service No. T16136; Millingtons, Cornelian Bay Cemetery, Reference K860 1986.
The Mercury (Hobart) 28 April 1900, 25 May 1925, 1 October 1927, 6 November 1930, 31 July 1933, 19 September 1933, 10 October 1936, 5 May 1937, 13 December 1950; The News 9 June 1924; Huon Times 11 January 1929;
The Examiner (Launceston) 17 August 1944, 29 March 1947.