Name John SIMS
Country Of Origin England
Born 1825
Died 1876
Birth/Baptism Born approx. 1825, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, England
Parents George and Elizabeth Sims
Apprenticeship unknown
Skills Watchmaker
Work Locations Richmond, Campbell Town
Street Address
Marriage/Spouse 21 August 1854, Hobart, to Mary Ann Mehan
Trial 5 January 1847 Wells Epiphany Sessions, Somerset
Sentence 14 years for stealing three shirts and other articles from the dwelling house of Henry Ford.
5 January 1847: Admitted to Wilton Gaol, Taunton, Somerset, England.
Arrival 28 May 1853 on the convict ship, St Vincent
Police Number 28015
Convict Assignment
Ticket of Leave 13 December 1853
Conditional Pardon 17 May 1859
Other John was transported to Gibraltar, where he spent six years before being sent to Van Diemen’s Land to complete his sentence. The convict ship, St Vincent, left England in November 1852 and stopped at Gibraltar, where 110 prisoners disembarked and 102 boarded. The St Vincent arrived in Hobart Town on 28 May 1853, the last of the convict ships to Van Diemen’s Land.
Of the 207 prisoners aboard, tickets of leave were held by 166.

Recorded as an imperfect blacksmith and labourer on arrival.
April 1854: Marriage permission granted.
Late 1850s-early 1860s: Watchmaker, Richmond.
1892: Death, Mary Sims, at her residence, 118 St John Street, Launceston.

Death 11 November 1876, Campbell Town
TAHO: CON33/1/115, CON18/1/59, CON14/1/47, CON13/1/11, CON52/1/7 Marriage Permission 1854 [Sims-Meghan], RGD37/1/13 no748 Marriage 1854, RGD33/1/6 no204 Birth 1855 [unnamed male], RGD33/1/36 no1871 Birth 1858 [Arthur Sims], RGD35/1/45 no86 Death 1876.
Web: British Newspaper Archive: Taunton Courier & Western Advertiser 13 January 1847;
Findmypast: England & Wales Crime, Prisons & Punishments, Volume 3, Series HO24, Gibraltar 1847.
Ancestry: Somerset, England Gaol Register 1847; Australia & New Zealand Find a Grave Index 1876.
Hobart Town Advertiser 28 May 1853; Hobart Town Daily Mercury 26 October 1859; The Mercury (Hobart) 26 October 1860; The Examiner (Launceston) 28 May 1853, 31 May 1853, 16 February 1892.