PARKER James Philip

Name James Philip PARKER
Country Of Origin England
Born 1835
Died 1883
Birth/ Baptism Born 23 March 1835, Launceston
Bapt. 22 April 1835, Launceston
Parents Joseph and Sarah Parker (formerly Gamble)
Apprenticeship Archibald Simpson, Brisbane Street, Launceston
Skills Clockmaker, Watchmaker
Work Locations Launceston
Street Address
Brisbane Street, Launceston
St John Street, Launceston (next door to the Criterion Hotel)
Marriage/Spouse 29 November 1857, Trinity Church, Launceston, to Amelia Sarah Jones (formerly Walbourn).
Amelia was the widow of jeweller William Henry Jones.
Other December 1856: Commenced business in St John Street after seven and a half years with Archibald Simpson, Brisbane Street.
October 1857: Advertised the arrival of new stock, including an assortment of gold and silver English Lever and Verge watches.
1858: Insolvency court.

1860: Submitted a tender for repairs and regulation of the Launceston Town Clock (St John’s) for 12 months. He was successful.

1861: Advertised eyeglasses and spectacles, thermometers, English, French and American clocks, new and second-hand watches.

The Examiner (Launceston) 23 January 1862
‘Between six and seven o’clock on Tuesday evening, a man named Robert Seaward dashed his hand through a pane of glass in the window of Mr Parker’s watchmaker’s shop in St John Street and took out two watches which were hanging up, put them in his pockets, and ran off. Mr Parker, who had just gone into an adjoining room, immediately ran after him, and when near Trinity Church, the delinquent was apprehended by a policeman, to whom Mr Parker had pointed him out. The watches were found in his possession. He was brought up at the Police Office yesterday and fully committed for trial.’

July 1862: Imported a valuable astronomical clock from London made by Dent. The case was mahogany, and the pendulum contained about eight pounds in weight of quicksilver.

Approx. 1862-1870: The Council paid James Parker £5 every three months for winding, regulating, and repairing St John’s Church Clock.

February 1869: The St John Street business premises and adjoining properties were advertised to be sold by auction.

August 1871: James Parker advertised an auction to sell his household goods and shop fittings, including one valuable watchmaker’s regulator, a ‘horological mechanism not to be equalled in the colony.’ He stated he was ‘compelled to remove, being built out.’

September 1871: During his absence from Launceston, clock and watch repairs could be collected on application from the Town Hall, Launceston.

October 1871: According to the Launceston Examiner of 21 October, Launceston watchmaker James Parker departed Hobart Town bound for Lyttleton, New Zealand, on the ship Natal Queen under the name ‘E. Dex.’

1877: Bankruptcy, New Zealand.

Death 1883, Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand
TAHO: RGD32/1/2 no6438 Birth 1835, RGD37/1/16 no570 Marriage 1857.
Web: Papers Past New Zealand: Lyttleton Times, November 1876; Press 12 April 1877.
Web: Ancestry: Australia & New Zealand Find A Grave Index 1883.
The Examiner (Launceston) 16 December 1856, 3 October 1857, 19 August 1858, 26 August 1862, 27 November 1866, 3 December 1867, 9 July 1868, 25 August 1868, 11 February 1869, 30 November 1869, 30 August 1870, 29 August 1871; Cornwall Chronicle 21 August 1858, 22 August 1860, 3 April 1861, 9 July 1862, 26 November 1862, 26 August 1863; The Tasmanian 16 September 1871.