OWEN John (junior)

Name John (junior) OWEN
Country Of Origin Australia
Born 1856
Died 1923
Birth/ Baptism Born 15 November 1856, Hobart
Parents John and Mary Owen (formerly Rankin)
Apprenticeship With his father
Skills Clockmaker, Watchmaker
Work Locations Longford
Street Address
Marlborough Street, Longford
Other Prize winner at a Victorian exhibition for manufacturing musical organ barrels.
Member: Longford Orchestra.

November 1887: Due to ill health, John’s father transferred his entire business to John junior.
7 January 1888: Death of father, John senior.

1890: Moved to larger premises, Longford.
December 1890: The Christ Church town clock was stopped while additions manufactured and fitted by John were added to enable striking on the half-hour.

1906: At some point, the half-hour strike mechanism was removed, and Longford residents were keen to have it functional again. As caretaker of the clock, John was approached and quoted £10 to do the job.

1912: John applied for an extra £2 on his salary for winding and maintaining the Longford church clock. The council required it to be spot on time so attention three times a week was needed.

SEE October 2023 blog:
The Two John Owen’s – Longford Father and Son Watchmakers

Death 16 February 1923, Launceston
Tasmania Post Office Directory 1899, 1901.
TAHO: RGD33/1/6 no12 Birth 1856.
The Hobarton Mercury 9 September 1854, 8 September 1856; Daily Telegraph 8 November 1887, 12 July 1890, 8 December 1890, 6 August 1906, 26 May 1910, 7 December 1912, 19 February 1923; The Tasmanian 14 January 1888; The Examiner (Launceston) July 1890, 2 January 1900, 9 June 1906, 7 December 1912, 17 February 1923.