GOODY Albert

Name Albert GOODY
Country Of Origin Australia
Born 1854
Died 1914
Birth/ Baptism Born 26 August 1854, Hobart
Bapt. 10 October 1854, St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Hobart
Parents William (senior) and Janette Goody (formerly Fraser)
Apprenticeship Most likely with his father
Skills Clockmaker, Watchmaker
Work Locations Hobart, Zeehan
Street Address
81 Elizabeth Street, Hobart
120 Elizabeth Street, Hobart
Main Street, Zeehan
Murray Street, Hobart
47 Liverpool Street, Hobart
16 Liverpool Street, Hobart
28 Liverpool Street, Hobart
Marriage/Spouse Frances Parsons
Other November 1872: Albert, who worked as a watchmaker with his father, was summoned to court by Mary Ann Pearce regarding paying maintenance for his illegitimate son. Despite denying paternity, the court ordered him to pay support of 5 shillings a week. Albert Henry Pearce was born on 15 October and died two months later on 19 December 1872.

1883: Sentenced to three months in prison for selling a chain he claimed was 18-carat gold when it was brass.

October 1894: Business premises, 120 Elizabeth Street, Hobart, destroyed by fire.

Approx. 1899: Main Street, Zeehan.

The Mercury (Hobart) 23 August 1900:
‘LOST – Silver Watch and Black Guard and Heart attached, between Harrington and Argyle Streets. Reward. Mrs Goody, Watchmaker, Elizabeth Street.’

2 August 1913: Admitted to the New Town Infirmary.

Death 17 January 1914, New Town Infirmary, Hobart
Burial: 20 January 1914, Cornelian Bay Cemetery, Hobart, pauper’s grave.
Tasmania Post Office Directory 1896-1899, 1901.
TAHO: RGD33/1/4 no2059 Birth 1853 [Albert Goody]; RGD33/1/10 no2884 Birth 1872 [Albert Henry Pearce]; RGD35/1/8 no1219 Death 1872 [Albert Henry Pearce]; HSD274/1/1 New Town Charitable Institute 1913-1914; RGD35/1/15 no97 Death 1895; RGD33/1/21 no1055 Birth 1897; AF35/1/2 (BU 18471), AF70/1/36 (BU 18471) 1914.
Web: Ancestry: Australia Births & Baptisms 1854; Australia City Directories, Tasmania Post Office Directory (Wise) 1894-1910;
Millingtons, Record No. 1B 18471.
The Mercury (Hobart) 13 November 1872, 25 January 1883, 13 October 1894; Tasmanian News 21 June 1892; The Examiner (Launceston) 12 October 1894.