Name John FLETT
Country Of Origin Scotland
Born 1815
Died 1884
Birth/Baptism Born 30 September 1815, Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland
Bapt. 21 October 1815, Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland
Parents Robert and Mary Flett (formerly Cursiter)
Apprenticeship unknown
Skills Clockmaker, Watchmaker
Work Locations Hobart, Launceston
Street Address
Marriage/Spouse Elizabeth Flett
Trial 23 April 1836, Inverness Court of Justiciary (recorded as a clock and watchmaker of five years)
Sentence Seven years transportation for housebreaking and theft
Arrival July 1837 on the convict ship, Blenheim
Police Number 831
Convict Assignment 1837: David Barclay, Hobart
1838: James Barclay, Launceston.
Ticket of Leave June 1843
Conditional Pardon
Other After he arrived in 1837, John Flett’s initial assignment was with David Barclay in Hobart, but only for a very short time. After being absent without leave, David sent him back to the Government.

September 1838: Sentence of transportation extended three years for stealing tools, the property of James Barclay. Launceston.

8 October 1847: Supreme Court, Launceston. Sentenced to another seven years transportation for stealing a watch from watchmaker James Matthews (15-month probation period at Port Arthur).

October 1867: Sentenced to 12 months hard labour for stealing an umbrella and handkerchief at the shop of Mr Matthews, Wellington Street, Launceston. Newspapers report John as John Fleet, alias Wilson. His wife, Elizabeth, may have been an accomplice, but the court dismissed her charge.

6 March 1883: 12 months sentence for theft, Westbury.

Death Possibly 24 April 1884, 70-year-old pauper, George Town
TAHO: CON31/1/14, CON37/1/4 [Flete], CON27/1/7 [Fleet], CON52/1/2, RGD35/1/53 no260 Death 1884.
Web: National Records of Scotland, Old Parish Registers Births 021/ Kirkwall; Founders & Survivors convict database.
Hobart Town Courier 14 September 1838; The Courier Hobart 9 June 1843; Cornwall Chronicle 9 October 1847 [Flet], 26 October 1867 [Fleet]; The Hobarton Mercury 21 January 1857; The Examiner (Launceston) 26 October 1867.