BROOKS William

Name William BROOKS
Country Of Origin England
Born 1814
Died 1874
Birth/Baptism Born approx. 1814, Rochdale, Lancashire, England
Parents Richard and Mary Brooks
Apprenticeship unknown
Skills Watchmaker
Work Locations Hobart
Street Address
Liverpool Street, Hobart
77 Elizabeth Street, Hobart
Marriage/Spouse Wife Ellen and three children, Liverpool, England.

4 September 1847, Hobart, to Susannah Davis

Trial 25 October 1841, Liverpool Borough Quarter Sessions, Lancashire
18 February 1865, Hobart Supreme Court
8 November 1872, Hobart Supreme Court
2 December 1873, Hobart Supreme Court
Sentence 1841: Seven years transportation for stealing five gold wedding rings.
1865: Three months imprisonment with hard labour for assault.
1872: Two months hard labour for theft.
1873: Two years imprisonment for breaking into watchmaker and jeweller, William Goody’s shop in Elizabeth Street and stealing a watch case and chain.
Arrival 30 May 1842, Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania) on the convict ship, Somersetshire
Police Number 4949
Convict Assignment Approx. 1844-1845: William Cole, watchmaker and silversmith, Liverpool Street, Hobart.
Ticket of Leave 5 January 1847
Conditional Pardon
Other Two years probation period at Southport.

30 October 1848: Certificate of Freedom.

Hobart Town Advertiser 10 July 1860
‘John Crutchley and William Brooks, the latter a person well-known as having a respectable watchmaker’s shop in Elizabeth Street, were charged with illegally pawning a gold watch, the property of James Corby, and remanded till the 11th instant.’
Both men pleaded guilty and received sentences of imprisonment with hard labour.

Death 20 March 1874, General Hospital, Hobart
TAHO: CON33/1/21, CON18/1/32, CON14/1/13, CON28/1/1, RGD37/1/6 no834 Marriage 1847, SC32/1/9 Court 1873, RGD35/1/8 no1973 Death 1874.
Web: A Short History of the Brooks family of Mathinna, R.A. Mallett PhD.
Cornwall Chronicle 9 January 1847; The Examiner (Launceston) 11 November 1848; Colonial Times 16 January 1854; The Hobarton Mercury 24 March 1856; The Mercury (Hobart) 12 July 1860; The Tasmanian Tribune 23 September 1874