BIBBY Leo Hartley

Name Leo Hartley BIBBY
Country Of Origin England
Born 1859
Died 1933
Birth/ Baptism Born December 1859, Chorlton, Lancashire, England

Bapt. 25 December 1859, St James, Birch in Rusholme, Lancashire, England

Parents Jeremiah and Mary Ann Bibby
Apprenticeship unknown
Skills Watchmaker, Jeweller
Work Locations Hobart
Street Address
90 Liverpool Street, Hobart
116 Liverpool Street, Hobart (opposite Post Office)
Marriage/Spouse July 1883, Melbourne, Victoria, to Mary Josephine Fearon
Arrival 4 January 1881, Melbourne, Victoria, on the ship, Hoghton Tower
Other Pre-1893: Victoria

‘The Mercury (Hobart) 12 December 1893:
Beg to notify the public that they have taken over the old-established business of  Mr W Golding, and hope by strict attention to business, to warrant a continuance of the patronage for many years extended to the former proprietor …
Repairs of all kinds promptly attended to …

90 Liverpool Street.’

Approx. June 1894: Dissolution of partnership sale advertised.

August 1894: Leo purchased The Hobart Jewellery Company’s complete stock and thanked the public for their support during his time as manager.

1895: Now advertising under his name, Leo announced Edgar Keen as his manager and opened a temporary shop at Zeehan with Edgar in charge.

By approx. December 1910: At 116 Liverpool Street, opposite the Post Office, Hobart.

April 1917: Albert Thomas, watchmaker and jeweller of 41 Elizabeth Street, Hobart, purchased the Liverpool Street business.

The Bibby’s relocated to Sydney, New South Wales.

Death 27 September 1933, Sydney, New South Wales
Tasmania Post Office Directory 1901.
Web: Ancestry: England, Select Births & Christenings 1859; Victoria, Australia, Assisted & Unassisted Passenger Lists 1881; Australia Marriage 1883; Australia City Directories, Tasmania Post Office Directory ((Wise) 1896-1917; Findmypast, New South Wales Death transcription 1933.
Argus 17 December 1887; The Examiner (Launceston) 8 May 1900; The Mercury (Hobart) 12 December 1893,  4 June 1894, 2 August 1894, 22 January 1898, 14 February 1910, 2 May 1917, 26 March 1918; Sydney Morning Herald 14 September 1881, 28 September 1933.